Sedation dentistry is not only for people that fear going to the dentist — anyone can experience its benefits at Sleep Dentistry of Portland & Vancouver.With sedation, treatments that would require five or more appointments often can be combined and completed in one single appointment. This means fewer interruptions to your daily life.
Few people enjoy visiting their dentist, so what could make your next dental visit more pleasant than being able to sleep through it?We offer different levels of sedation depending on your needs and preferences:
Nitrous Oxide SedationWe can use Nitrous Oxide, also known as laughing gas, to lightly sedate you. The gas is mixed with oxygen and is inhaled through a small mask placed over your nose. Benefits include:
- It’s free! We offer complimentary Nitrous Oxide to all patients.
- It is extremely safe and familiar to patients.
- It wears off quickly with no need for someone to take you to and from your appointment.
- The doctor can accurately control the level of sedation.
Minimal Oral SedationOral sedation is achieved through the use of pills that are in the drug family called Benzodiazepines. The familiar drug valium is also from this family. They produce a feeling of relaxation and drowsiness. Benefits Include:
- It places you in a very relaxed state.
- It causes drowsiness that allows patients to doze off during the appointment.
- Most patients have little or no memory of the appointment.
- They work as a mild anesthetic to aid pain control.
Moderate to Deep Intravenous (IV) SedationModerate to deep sedation is achieved through the use of an IV administering a sedative directly to your blood stream. It produces a profound state of relaxation and can be used to sedate patients to a point where they are completely unaware of the dental treatment being performed. Our doctors are among a small and prestigious group of Oregon dentists who are qualified and licensed to perform these types of advanced sedation. The Benefits Include:
- The doctor is able to control the level of sedation very accurately.
- Deep sedation can safely be achieved.
- The patient will have virtually no memory of the dental treatment.
- It is a superior sedation technique for long appointments.
- It is a superior sedation technique for patients with very high fear.
- It works as a moderate anesthetic to aid pain control.
- It can be used to administer long-lasting drugs for post-operative pain control.